The objective of this document is to consolidate information related to adolescent girls’ wellbeing and to illustrate entry points for holistic, multi-sectoral initiatives that can help girls achieve wellbeing. This resource is outcome-focused; multiple experts from the adolescent girl field identified their optimal outcomes as related to girls’ education, health, economic empowerment, hygiene, experience of gender-based violence, and experience in conflict, emergency, or humanitarian settings. We illustrate connections across sectors that make the case that the holistic needs of girls must be taken into consideration regardless of in which sector the program or policy originates.
This resource can be used in any of the following ways:
- As a thoughtfulness tool
- Program planners or designers can use this resource to inform their desired outcomes and practices and, potentially, to help find creative ways to achieve some outcomes that are outside the program’s scope.
- As an evaluation tool
- Program or project evaluators can look to this resource for suggestions as to what outcomes and progress could be measured and on how to design indicators that accurately measure adolescent girls’ wellbeing.
- As a guide for donors
- Donors can use this resource to inform their understanding of adolescent girls’ needs and the potential progress and outcomes they can expect from well-designed, girl-informed programming.
- As a tool to promote cross-sector understanding
- Anyone can use this tool to increase their understanding of desired outcomes for adolescent girls, regardless of the sector in which they work. For example, this tool can be used by those in the education sector, to increase their understanding of girls’ hygiene and sanitation needs.